Lawnmowers are the best partner for lawn care of our garden, the task that thanks to these tools can be performed quickly and with little effort. Robotic latest models mow the lawn autonomously while you are doing other tasks. We will help you choose the best self propelled lawn mower for your garden, a decision that will have to take into account the size and type of terrain.
Content of the article:
- Types of lawnmower
- What model do I need?
- Learn the parts of a lawn mower
- Types cutting
- What is mulching?
- Use and maintenance tips
Types of lawn mower
We can divide the mower into six groups: manual, electric cable, electric battery, robots, fuel and tractors. Electric lawn mower are lighter and manageable, yet the battery and gasoline offer greater freedom of movement because they do not need to be connected to an outlet.
• Manual: No leading motor are indicated only for lawns up to 100 m² or those places that are not accessible to a larger machine. They require more physical effort from the user. It is advised to manicured lawns.
• Electrical: they are lighter, manageable and economical than gasoline. They require no maintenance but are only suitable for surfaces between 100 and 500 m, depending on the model. Wired electrical machines need a nearby outlet. There are also self propelled models, the motor drives the wheels so that you do not have to push.
• Battery: offer more independence and freedom of movement. They are lighter, manageable and require minimal maintenance. Lithium batteries charge is faster than conventional nickel cadmium and do not need to download them completely to load again.
• Gasoline: more powerful than the former. They offer more autonomy and independence from the electrical cable. There are two tanks, one for gas and one for oil. We can find self propelled models, the motor drives the wheels and you do not have to push.
• Robots: Currently there are models that are programmable robot which is completely autonomous. They reap automatically, save the terrain obstacles and return to the charging base. The battery of this equipment has a range equivalent to 200 m². Noteworthy among many other benefits are low power consumption and noise index. To mow more often allow you to always have a perfect lawn.
• Lawn tractor: its use is more convenient and effective. An ideal for areas over 500 m² system.
Which model do I need?
The first thing to consider in choosing a mower is our garden. Do you have an electrical outlet? Is it flat or irregular?
Type of land
If the ground is flat and smooth can choose any model (manual, electric, battery or gasoline depending upon the size of the garden), but if it is irregular and especially if you have steep slopes, it is best to choose a model gasoline drive (forward without being pushed).
• less than 150 sqm: The mower can be manual, electric or programmable robot and the cutting width should be around 30/34 cm.
• between 150 and 500 m²: Electric Mower, cable, battery or programmable robot. Cutting width range between 34/46 cm.
• between 400 to 1200 m: gasoline. Cutting width is between 40/57 cm.
Types of cutting blades
• Helical: perfect cut (even millimeters) and clean. They require more maintenance and must be sharpened in specialized stores. Recommended for fine cuts on high quality grass.
• Rotary: are the most common. Noted for their impact resistance, because they are easily removed and can sharpen ourselves.
• Air mattress: do not have wheels. They slide thanks to absorb and store air therein. Very light, suitable for small gardens and manicured lawns.
What is mulching?
The mulching kit crushes grass fine to be used as fertilizer or compost. It is advisable to apply the mulch on the grass in the summer months to help retain moisture and prevent the grass to dry.
Use and maintenance tips
1. Mow when the grass is dry. Wet cutting can be irregular and cause fungus to grow.
2. Each pass should be done in different directions to avoid the inclination of the blades of grass.
3. Store it in the shade, in a cool place. In petrol models, empty the tank once the season ended.
Good luck with the purchase and the use of your new self propelled lawn mower!